Although not really celebrated much here in the Philippines, I love Halloween. I remember when I was still young, I’d get my grandma to tell me aswang stories before bedtime and I enjoyed watching the horror special segment of Magandang Gabi Bayan with Noli De Castro standing on a creepy background for added effect. I wished that trick or treating was a tradition for kids during my childhood days. And yes, I love watching scary movies especially at this of the year.
Let me share with you some of my favorite scary movies to watch during this time of the year:
1. The Conjuring
If this isn’t part of your scary movies to watch list, then it should be! This scared the living daylights out of me! I watched this at home, at the comforts of my room but with lights off so that really added on to the thrill. That bedroom scene was the scariest for me! The kids were sleeping and an invisible force just dragged one of the girls’ by the feet frightened me for quite awhile. Got a little paranoid that it might happen to me too!
2. The Eye
The story is about a blind woman who gets an eye transplant. As it would turn out, the new eyes she got came with a catch – she could see ghosts! The most frightening scene in this movie for me was the part where she gets in an elevator and there was a ghost inside with her – an old man who’s back was turned on her and then out of the corner of her eyes, she’d see him slowly turning around to face her as the elevator goes up. Stuck in the elevator with a ghost! Hair raising!
3. The Exorcist
Well of course not to be missed on my scary movies to watch list! This is a classic horror movie! A story about a girl being possessed by the devil and a priest who tries to exorcise the demon. There were a lot of scary scenes in this movie. For instance, I will never forget that scene where the possessed girl walks backward on her hands down the stairs. And of course, Reagan’s possessed face was enough to give anyone a nightmare!
4. Halloween – This definitely falls on my scary movie list! I’ve seen a lot of slasher films but none scared me as much as Michael Myers did! If you didn’t know, this movie started Jamie Lee Curtis’ career. Oh and did you also know that she’s actually the daughter of Janet Leigh, the actress from Psycho. This kept me at the edge of my seat when I was watching it with my eyes partly covered. Ha! Ha!
5. House of Wax – It’s the story of teenagers making their way to a highly anticipated football game in Louisiana but since it’s a long trip, they decide to camp out along the way by night fall. They encounter a mysterious stranger on a pickup truck who shines his light on them and refuses to leave until his headlights were smashed by a bottle. Their trouble really begins when they needed to buy a fan belt and were driven off to a nearby town which had a house of wax and a killer! Chad Michael Murray starred in this movie which was an added bonus for me to watch this film.
6. Psycho – I saw the remake of Psycho which starred Vince Vaughn and personally I think he played the role well. He was kind of creepy. So the story goes that this woman named Marion Crane steals a huge sum of money from her employer to help her boyfriend get out of debt and she flees to Phoenix, Arizona. On the way, she gets caught in a heavy storm so she spends the night at the Bates Motel where she encounters Norman Bates. Turns out, Norman’s suffering from a personality disorder – his dead mother is living inside his head as an alternate personality! He acts, dresses and talks like his mother and he imagines that his mom out of jealousy would kill any woman he was attracted to so she kills them but it’s really him who’s killing people, he just didn’t know it.
Who wouldn’t be scared of this movie? The setting and the music are frightening enough!
7. The Shining – I can still hear the creepy voice in my head saying “REDRUM. REDRUM.” which is Murder spelled backwards. Jack Nicholson was a very scary mad man in this movie. He played Jack Torrance, a writer and recovering alcoholic in the movie and he takes a job as an off-season caretaker of the isolated Overlook Hotel bringing his family with him. He has a young son with psychic abilities and is able to see things from the past and future like ghosts in the hotel. They get trapped in a snowstorm and Jack gradually becomes influenced by a supernatural presence and starts becoming mad driving him to murder his family.
|Oh di ba? Look at those eyes! Scary!|
8. The Sixth Sense – Haley Joel Osment as the kid who sees ghosts and Bruce Willis as the psychiatrist who didn’t initially believe his patient. Who could forget the famous line “I see dead people…” whispered by a scared Cole Sear.
9. 28 Days Later – Imagine waking up in the hospital and discovering the city you live in has been taken over by flesh eating zombies! Need I say more?
10. Final Destination – And when I say Final Destination, I just really mean the original movie that starred Devon Sawa. Imagine having a premonition about your death and beating it or so you think! Because in this movie, survivors of the Flight 180 plane crash were haunted by death one by one – each dying a gruesome way.
How about you guys? Do you like watching scary movies? And if you do, what are your favorites?